Monday, July 20, 2020

Upgrade to MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina), Some Bookkeeping Notes


Sportsfans,

After upgrading my Macs to MacOS X 10.15.6 Catalina last weekend, a number of compiling links broke and also some third-party software was "relocated".  Because I had delayed upgrading the MacOS from Mojave for over 9 months, the third-party software had adjusted to the new situation.  I downloaded a fresh version of "fink" (rev 0.45.1)   and installed it in the directory /opt/sw, because its old location /sw had been expunged by Apple's update.  This required some changes in my .cshrc file, so that I could point to the correct directories.  I had to upgrade XCode upward three versions, from 10.3 to 10.6, install the Xcode command tools, selfupdate fink, and then run an endless installation procedure to install my favorite X11 text editor nedit.    Took some time, but it all worked.

The older gcc5 compilers in fink were relocated by the MacOS upgrade and had been upgraded to gcc10 in fink.  However, I discovered that my fortran codes were compiling just fine, which meant that they were not using the gfortran compiler in fink.  I found the working gfortran compiler in Anaconda, /Users/jjpark/anaconda/bin/gfortran, so I dropped my .cshrc  pointers to the fink directories for gcc and let them utilize the Anaconda gcc compiler.  The X11 libraries also moved, into /opt, but changing the links fixed that.

So far, so good.  Crossed fingers.

Fearless Leader

No comments:

 
Link